Bath & Body Products
What you need to know to stay healthy
We are told by many entities that we need to read labels especially in food. How often do you read the labels of your bath and body products? Do you even know what the ingredients mean?
Bath and body products do not need to be tested to prove how safe they are. The Government will only step in when enough complaints have been made. Currently in the U.S. Ingredients do not need to be labeled on soap nor any allergens. The following must be stated on soap to follow current regulations:
- Business Name
- Identified as soap
- Weight in oz.
- Physical Address
Ingredient list for Dial Gold soap: Cosmetic Database Rating: 4 (Moderate Concern)
Active Ingredient: Triclocarban
Inactive Ingredients: SOAP (SODIUM COCOATE*, SODIUM PALM KERNELATE*, SODIUM PALMATE*, SODIUM TALLOWATE*), WATER, TALC, COCONUT ACID*, PALM ACID*, TALLOW ACID*, PALM KERNEL ACID*, PEG-6 METHYL ETHER, FRAGRANCE, GLYCERIN, SORBITOL, SODIUM CHLORIDE, PENTASODIUM PENTETATE, TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE, YELLOW 5, YELLOW 8, RED 4 *contains one or more of these ingredients
Triclocarban: Function/use(s): Cosmetic Biocide; Deodorant Agent; Preservative
Sodium cocoate, sodium palm kernelate, sodium palmate, sodium tallowate: Fats and oils saponified by sodium hydroxide:
Cocoate: coconut oil
Palm Kernelate: Palm Kernel Oil
Palmate: Palm Oil
Tallowate: Tallow (Fat)
Talc: Function/use(s): Abrasive; Absorbent; Anticaking Agent; Bulking Agent; Opacifying Agent; Skin Protectant; Slip Modifier; SKIN PROTECTING
About TALC: Talc is a powdered native, hydrous magnesium silicate sometimes containing a small portion of aluminum silicate. Talc can be contaminated with asbestos fibers, posing risks for respiratory toxicity and cancer. Studies by the National Toxicology Panel demonstrated that cosmetic-grade talc free of asbestos is a form of magnesium silicate that also can be toxic and carcinogenic.
Contamination concerns: ASBESTIFORM FIBERS
Coconut Acid, Palm Acid, Tallow Acid, Palm Kernel Acid: Fatty Acids, Emollients as a result from the saponification of the soap
PEG-6 Methyl Ether: Function/use(s): Solvent
About PEG-6 METHYL ETHER: PEG-6 Methyl Ether is a polyethylene glycol ether of Methyl Alcohol (q.v.).
Fragrance: Function/use(s): DEODORANT; MASKING; PERFUMING
About FRAGRANCE: The word fragrance or parfum on the product label represents an undisclosed mixture of various scent chemicals and ingredients used as fragrance dispersants such as diethyl phthalate. Fragrance mixes have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system.
Glycerin: Function/use(s): Denaturant; Fragrance Ingredient; Hair Conditioning Agent; Humectant; Oral Care Agent; Oral Health Care Drug; Skin-Conditioning Agent - Humectant; Skin Protectant; Viscosity Decreasing Agent; PERFUMING; SOLVENT
About GLYCERIN: Glycerin (also called glycerol) is a naturally occurring alcohol compound and a component of many lipids. Glycerin may be of animal or vegetable origin. This ingredient is listed in the PETA's Caring Consumer guide as a byproduct of soap manufacture, which typically uses animal fat.
Sorbitol: Function/use(s): Flavoring Agent; Fragrance Ingredient; Humectant; Skin-Conditioning Agent - Humectant; PLASTICISER; SKIN CONDITIONING
About SORBITOL: Sorbitol (glucitol) is a type of sugar alcohol used as a thickener and a skin conditioning agent.
Sodium Chloride: Function/use(s): Flavoring Agent; Oral Care Agent; Viscosity Increasing Agent – Aqueous. About SODIUM CHLORIDE: Sodium Chloride is an inorganic salt (also called table salt).
Pentasodium Pentetate: Function/use(s): Chelating Agent
About PENTASODIUM PENTETATE: Pentasodium pentetate is a chelating agent used to bind and sequester metal ions.
Tetrasodium Etidronate: Function/use(s): Chelating Agent; EMULSION STABILISING; VISCOSITY CONTROLLING
YELLOW 5, YELLOW 8, RED 4: Lab made colors used to color soap
Ingredient List for Dr. Bronner’s Lavender Bar Soap: Cosmetic Database Rating: 1 (low concern)
Organic Coconut Oil*, Organic Palm Oil*, Sodium Hydroxide**, Water, Lavandin Extract, Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Lavender Extract, Salt, Citric Acid, Tocopherol
Tocopherol: Function/use(s): Antioxidant; Fragrance Ingredient; Skin-Conditioning Agent - Miscellaneous; Skin-Conditioning Agent - Occlusive; SKIN CONDITIONING.
About TOCOPHEROL: Tocopherols are a class of naturally occurring chemical compounds related to Vitamin E
* CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS
** None remains after saponifying oils into soap and glycerin
Ingredient list for Ki Wellness Lavender Tea Tree Bastille Soap:
INGREDIENTS: Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Sodium Hydroxide**, Calendula Infused Water, Lavender Essential Oil, Tea Tree Essential Oil, Green Clay
** None remains after saponifying oils into soap and glycerin
…. Now let’s talk lotions. Most lotions that you purchase in the store contain preservatives/parabens. These are used to extend the life of lotion since it is made from water (which will eventually mold). Common preservatives/parabens to look out for are:
- Germaben II: About GERMABEN II: Propylene Glycol: Diazolidinyl Urea; Methylparaben; Propylparaben
- Optiphen: About OPTIPHEN: Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Sorbic Acid
- Phenonip: About PHENONIP: According to website information provided by Clariant, the manufacturer of phenonip, this ingredient is a mix of preservatives phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben, and isobutylparaben. Parabens mimic estrogen, are potential hormone (endocrine) system disruptors, and were found in the breast cancer tumors of 19 of 20 women studied (Darbre 2004). The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) tested urine from a group of 2,548 Americans over the age of 6 and found parabens in over 99% of samples (Calafat 2010). Propylparaben and butylparaben have been classified as potential human endocrine system disruptors by the European Commission on Endocrine Disruption (EU 2007).
Other MODERATE concerns: Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Biochemical or cellular level changes
Some of the highest rates = most concern lotions are:
- Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion Healthy Hand & Nail (Cosmetic Database Rating: 10)
- CVS Healthy Hands Hand & Nail Care Lotion (Cosmetic Database Rating: 10)
- Vaseline Intensive Care Healthy Hand & Nail Revitalizing Hand Lotion (Cosmetic Database Rating: 10)
- Flexitol Hand Balm (Cosmetic Database Rating: 10)
- Vera Wang Silkening Hand Crème (Cosmetic Database Rating: 9)
- L'OCCITANE Verbena Verbena Cooling Hand Cream Gel (Cosmetic Database Rating: 9)
- Bodycology Hand & Body Lotion, Vanilla Cupcake (Cosmetic Database: 8)
- Avon AVON BASICS Vita Moist Hand Cream (Cosmetic Database Rating: 8)