Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Tempeh Taco Bake

I have the day off on Tuesdays so I like to make a dinner that I know both my husband and I will enjoy. Today I decided it should be taco night but not just your normal run of the mill tacos but vegan taco bake deliciousness. I stared off by making the tortillas this morning. Then I made cashew cheese sauce. Taco bake is like lasagna, layers of salsa, tortillas, "cheese", and your protein. Here's the recipe I used tonight.

Ingredients:
1 pkg gluten free tempeh
1 jar salsa
1/2 cup cashew cheese sauce
1/2 onion, diced
Cayenne pepper, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Cumin, to taste
1/2 cup water

1. Start by preheating oven to 375 degrees. Place onion in a pan and sauté over medium heat until translucent.
2. Break up tempeh and add to pan with spices and 1/2 cup water. Stir occasionally and cook until water is reduced.
3. Time to layer.  Start with a couple of tbsp of salsa on the bottom of the pan.  This keeps the tortillas from sticking.  Then it's time to layer the tortillas on top of the salsa.  It's okay if they overlap.  Next add salsa, tempeh, "cheese" sauce, and tortillas.  Repeat until you are to the top ending with a cheese layer.
4. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until everything is heated through.
5. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment